Palm trees, sand, and frozen drinks - these are a few words that come to mind when people describe Miami. However, we know that there’s more to Miami than fun in the sun. The city has transformed into a tech hub and the 1.3 billion dollars it received in venture funding last year proves it. This is great news for Miami except for one big problem - there simply aren’t enough skilled professionals to fill every open position.
The Miami Tech Skills Gap and Job Market
The tech skills gap in Miami leaves employers searching frantically to find the right employees. The situation is so dire that over 5,000 Miami tech industry jobs went unfilled in January 2019. Among roles with skills shortages in Miami, web development and data jobs rank in the top 10.
While the skills gap is creating headaches for employers, it can be great for prospective techies and software developers. For example, high unmet demand usually leads to high salaries. It’s no surprise then that the average salary for a Miami Software Engineer is $84.8k.
- CareCloud: CareCloud is helping the healthcare industry by providing customized cloud-based platforms to help operations run smoothly.
- Codelitt Incubator: A product incubator and innovation lab, Codelitt Incubator builds software products for enterprise clients and consumers.
- Dell: Dell creates computers and a variety of technical solutions.
- Emphasys Software: Emphasis Software provides software solutions to public housing authorities, housing finance agencies, local governments, and financial lenders.
- GE and GE Digital: As a powerful conglomerate that’s over 125 years old, GE’s mission is to connect our world through technology.
- Neocis: Neocis’ robotics technologies are working to revolutionize dental implant surgery.
- NextEra Energy: NextEra Energy is one of the nation’s largest investors in energy infrastructure.
More Miami tech and startup jobs can be found on websites like AngelList.
Interested in launching a tech career in Miami? Thinkful can help. Learn more about our Miami community and innovative training programs here.