If you’re thinking about becoming a data scientist, you’re considering a very rewarding career path. Data is one of the most important features of every organization. The information that can be gleaned from large datasets helps businesses make informed decisions based on existing trends. Right now, at a time when data is generated in huge amounts, companies can no longer afford to ignore the insights that can be learned from data analytics. This makes data science an invaluable tool for businesses.
Data science is a field of computer science that focuses on extracting and analyzing structured and unstructured data. It uses algorithms and processes to pull insights and useful information from the data. It’s become an exciting field thanks to the rise of Big Data, and a constant need for large and small businesses to make data-based decisions.
Intrigued? Let’s delve into the courses that could help you take your data skills to the next level and get hired as a data scientist.
Data Science Courses
To excel as a data scientist, you need to be well-educated in diverse areas of study. You should consider the following courses if you want to kickstart your career in data.
- Data Science Bootcamp: Thinkful offers both a full-time and part-time data science bootcamp. The full-time course is an accelerated program, while the part-time format offers more flexibility. In both courses, you’ll get one-on-one mentorship and professional guidance to get you into the field of data science. You’ll learn how to use Python and SQL for analytics and experimentation. Besides machine learning (supervised and unsupervised), you’ll also learn advanced skills in specialized areas of data science. If you want to start a career in data science as soon as possible, you’ll love this course.
- Crash Course in Data Science: A data science crash course will give you a complete overview of what data science is, how it works, and where it’s used. This course from Johns Hopkins University is the perfect introduction for anyone who’s curious about the field. It’s a short course, but covers all the fundamentals of data science. While this may not make you a professional data scientist, it will lay the foundation for a more rigorous class.
- Introduction To Data Science: In this course from IBM, you’ll learn the core topics of data science and an introduction to machine learning. The machine learning module is broken into three different modules. Each module ends with an assessment. Once you’re done with the introduction, you can turn to other concepts like programming languages, artificial intelligence, visualization tools, and certain techniques like regression and building clustering.
- Data Science And Machine Learning Essentials: If you’re looking for a course that has both theoretical and practical approaches to data science, then this course from Class Central is just for you. It walks you through core concepts and techniques like regression, classification, and clustering. It also explores all the steps that are required to build models. This is a Microsoft course and assumes a basic understanding of programming languages like R and Python since these are the two most frequently used programming languages in data science.
- Data Mining: Learn how to specialize in data mining with the University of Illinois. There are certain modules on data mining that help you understand concepts like decision trees, clustering and classification, regression, and teach the practical ways of technology.
- Introduction to Data Science In Python: It’s particularly important to know commonly used programming languages like Python if you’re planning to choose data science as your career. This course from the University of Michigan introduces you to the Python functions that are used to handle big datasets.
- Data Analytics Bootcamp: If you’re new to data analysis, then you should start off with a Data Analytics bootcamp before diving into the more advanced field of data science. Thinkful offers both an online course in both a full-time and part-time format that will teach you how to clean, organize, and analyze large datasets.
Should You Choose Data Science As A Career?
Data science can be a challenging but rewarding career. Some of the many benefits of becoming a data scientist are listed below.
- Attractive Compensation: In the US, a data scientist’s annual package has been estimated to be around $106,000, in addition to the attractive median incentives. Once you reach a managerial level, you can expect more, i.e., around $140,000 as a median annual salary. As you can see, this job provides you with financial security.
- Job Opportunities: There is a huge shortage of data scientists in the field today. With that being said, the competition is quite low. Data scientists are always in demand to mine and extract insights from existing data. Therefore, you can always expect to find work.
- Rapid Growth: You will never have to worry about your career growth if you have chosen data science as your career since it’s the fastest-growing field in technology. This field involves a lot of constant research because of its ever-evolving nature. Therefore, data science promises you growth and progression in your career.
- Explore Diverse Fields: The best part about this discipline is that you are not limited to one field. You can get appointed to a hospital, a college, a sports company. You can also work in e-commerce, with media houses, or more. The possibilities are endless! You will have an opportunity to work on many different subjects.
- Make High-Level Decisions: Data visualization is an extremely important part of data science and is often used for decision-making in businesses. You’ll be learning a lot of different subjects that impact business operations, like data analysis, predictive modeling, coding, and communication.
A career in data science has a lot of appealing features. Since it’s such a new field, your career options and opportunity for growth are immense. As long as you’re motivated to progress and challenge yourself, you’ll never stop learning. And the paycheck, which is often six figures, is a nice bonus.
If you’re looking for guidance on your journey to becoming a data scientist, Thinkful’s team is here for you. We’re dedicated to supporting you while you pursue a career that you’ll love in the field of data science.
Launch Your Data Science Career
An online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in Data Science.