If you’re an aspiring developer or looking to level up your programming game, you need to know which tools to use. Not only will the most up-to-date software make your job easier, it will also help you to provide higher-quality work. That means higher paying jobs and faster career growth in web development.
We’ve broken down tons of popular coding languages and frameworks for you so you’ll know their exact purpose. With this knowledge, you’ll be able to take your full-stack development career a bit farther!
Attend a Free Webinar
Our workshops help you start your journey to a new career, create opportunities to collaborate with like-minded experts and students, or teach you a new skill.
Front-End Developer Tools
These days, users expect a lot out of every software, website and app they use. Here are some of the most popular platforms developers use to get the look and feel of their products just right.
- Angular.JS: AngularJS is a framework that uses HTML as its base and is used to create and handle a dynamic view. It provides more value to normal HTML operations.
- SQL: SQL is short for Structured Query Language and its major use is in database management. It’s a domain-specific language that’s built for two central purposes. First, its purpose is to handle and manipulate data stored in a Relational Database Management System (RDBMS). Also, it’s used for stream processing in RDBMS.
- Python: Python is a general-purpose programming language that focuses on code readability. It supports various programming paradigms such as functional, procedural, and object-oriented programming.
Back-End Developer Tools
Full-stack developers are responsible for making sure a site not only looks appealing, but also does everything it needs to behind the scenes. Here are some of the most valuable tools they rely on to get the job done.
- Ruby On Rails: This is an open-source framework used on the server-side of development and runs on Ruby. It has a Model-View-Controller (MVC) framework and includes the entire default options required to build database-backed web applications.
- Django: This is a web framework written using Python. It’s also an open-sourced framework that follows the model-template-view architectural pattern. It facilitates the quick development of code that’s clean and useful and is used for server scripting.
- ASP.net: This is a framework for creating web services and applications and is free and open-source. It uses .NET and C# and supports various platforms
- MySQL: One of the most widely used databases, MySQL is open-source and is available on all leading operating systems such as Windows, Linux, and Solaris. It stores data in tables, columns, and rows.
- MongoDB: This is a database meant for modern developers who want to circumvent SQL as it’s document-based and doesn’t require SQL. It can maintain high-security levels of data. MongoDB also comes in a Cloud version.
Other Important Tools for Full-Stack Developers
- CodePen: This is a web designer and front-end developer-specific web development environment. CodePen facilitates the building and deployment of websites. Its features will facilitate rapid and efficient change of appearance for your website.
- GitHub: GitHub is one of the most used development platforms with over 2 million companies using it. It facilitates team collaboration for projects in real-time and can be used to host code as well. It makes the code-writing process more efficient by mitigating errors.
- Slack: Slack is another software that facilitates team collaboration. It’s Cloud-based, and it’s considered essential for full-stack developers. Slack allows the creation of workplaces in which team members can chat amongst themselves regarding specific projects.
Are These Tools Enough?
Technical tools are not enough to become a successful full-stack developer. You’ll also need some soft skills to make your professional journey smooth.
Some of the desired soft skills for full-stack development are problem-solving, patience, creativity, quick learning, ability to work under pressure, attention to detail, timeliness, and the drive to prove yourself. Being a full-stack developer is not easy because you need to be proficient in a huge range of skills. It takes time and dedication to master. However, if you cultivate these skills, you’ll have an abundant career in the world of full-stack development.
If you’d like to learn more about how you can land the career of your dreams in development, speak with a member of our team. You can also read more useful articles in our blog to help you through your career in tech. We’re all about helping people thrive in an industry they love, and so we know how to get you where you want to be.
Learn to Code with Thinkful
Take the proven path to a high-income career with professional mentorship and support, flexible ways to pay, and real-world, project-based learning.
- Front End Developer Resources
- Full Stack Developer Resources