Product management is a dynamic role that will have you working with a range of different departments, including design, engineering, testing, sales, and marketing.
Product managers are responsible for launching new products or improving existing ones. Their goal is to identify customer needs, develop solutions to problems, and ultimately increase sales. They work with many different professionals across the company and are involved in every stage of the product lifecycle.
Skilled product managers play a vital role in the success or failure of a business. Building great products that change lives is not only incredibly satisfying but also highly rewarded. Top product managers receive lucrative compensation packages, have excellent job prospects, and job security.
The good news is there are no strict qualification requirements to get started in this space. Professionals from different backgrounds can become product managers if they possess the right skills for the job. If you’re organized, love solving problems, and think you can bring teams together, a career in product management could be ideal.
We succeed when you succeed
We're dedicated to setting you up for career success. Check out our industry-first look at promotions, raises, and job growth a year and beyond Thinkful graduation.
Where to Search for Product Manager Jobs
The number of product management jobs is growing rapidly. It can sometimes be a challenge to search through all the opportunities to find your perfect placement. Thankfully, there are plenty of online job platforms to make this process easier.
Most job boards allow you to upload your resume and create an online profile. Recruiters can search your profile and get in touch if they have a job you might be interested in. Let’s look at some of the most popular product management job sites:
- Mind the Product: This platform might not be very popular, but its job board can be really helpful for aspiring product managers. It’s a product community where people associated with the field share their experiences and ideas. You can find many valuable product management blogs, tips, and product events happening around the world. There are plenty of job openings on their job board.
- ProductHired: This website is dedicated to product management jobs. It’s efficient and saves time as you don’t have to filter irrelevant fields. The website has some filters regarding the kind of job you are looking for, which makes your search much easier. They also have a “job alert” feature, so you can receive notifications for relevant job openings.
- AngelList: This is one of the best portals to specifically search for startup jobs. The site is perfect for people who are looking for freelance work. Apart from job listings, they have some useful articles on their blog.
- Product Hunt: This is a website where users can discover new products and share their views about products. Their job board is dedicated to jobs related to design, product, engineering, and marketing. Although the site is smaller than some of the others mentioned here, it’s regularly updated.
- Product Manager HQ: Product Manager HQ is an online slack community for product managers. You can find tips on how to land a product management job. They also offer a course “One Week PM”. It teaches the basic concepts, core principles, and how to prepare for product manager jobs.
- CrunchBoard: This is affiliated with the technology media company TechCrunch. The site is good for people who are thinking of beginning their career at a startup. You can find all kinds of technology-related jobs on their job board.
- Indeed: This is one of the most popular recruitment websites in the world. Job seekers from every field find this platform useful in their job hunt. It works well for product managers too. You‘ll get detailed information about most of the positions listed on the website.
- LinkedIn: Another popular platform. LinkedIn has a huge list of job openings. You can create your online portfolio here and start applying for jobs immediately. Most of the big companies post their job openings here.
To find your perfect product manager job, be patient. You’ll need hard work, commitment, and determination. Maybe a little bit of luck along the way. The above platforms provide a great foundation for you to begin your search.
Fast-Track Your Way to a Product Manager Job
To really boost your chances of landing a well-paid product manager job, enroll in our product manager bootcamp. The course is designed by leading experts to teach you everything you’ll need to start your career. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship and build a professional portfolio to stand out from the crowd and achieve your career goals. Schedule a call with our team to get started.
If you enjoyed this article, you can read more about product management on our blog. You might be interested to learn about careers in this space (and how much they pay).
Launch Your Product Management Career
Learn how to manage product lifecycles from industry professionals, 100% online, with the security of a career guarantee when you graduate.